Portable amplifier/player with high-resolution audio playback – including DSD
TEAC's HA-P90 is a high-resolution audio player and headphone amp for audiophiles on the go. A built-in microSD card slot can be loaded with high-resolution audio, up to 192kHz/24-bit or Direct Stream Digital (DSD) at 2.8MHz or 5.6MHz. A high-end Burr Brown PCM1795 converter plays audio from the card, USB input or from iOS or Android portable devices.
Audio electronics include Burr Brown OPA1602 SoundPLUS op amps, dual sample clocks for 44.1k and 48k multiples, discrete electronics and push-pull circuitry. A 170mW + 170mW headphone out is one of the highest-power amps available, and drives loads from 8 to 600 ohms. The HA-P90SD supports WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC, DSF and DFF files, either from the internal card or using the free TEAC HR Audio Player app for iOS and Android devices.
All of this great-sounding audio is housed in a robust all-aluminum chassis, available in either red or black. With flexible audio format support – including DSD – and a powerful headphone amplifier, TEAC’s HA-P90SD is the ultimate portable player for discerning listeners.
TEAC HR Audio Player for iOS is now available at the App Store.
TEAC HR Audio Player for Android will be available soon on Google Play.
- High-resolution portable amplifier/player with DSD128 (5.6MHz) native playback
The HA-P90SD’s digital music player enables convenient portable enjoyment of PCM or DSD recordings (up to 5.6MHz), ensuring the ultimate sound quality even while on the move.
Since debuting the TASCAM DS-D98 DSD-compatible professional recorder in 2001, TEAC has focused on the DSD format and DSD-compatible products. The DA-3000 Master Recorder released in 2013 supports the DSD128 (5.6MHz) file format, and has come to be used by studios around the world to create high-resolution recordings in DSD and other formats.
In the consumer audio field, TEAC released the UD-501USB D/A Converter in 2012, which offers both DSD128 (5.6MHz) and PCM 384kHz native playback, providing ready access to the high threshold sound quality of DSD audio file playback. The new HA-P90SD combines the dual functions of a high-quality portable amplifier and a DSD native-compatible player.
- ■High-efficiency Analog Devices Blackfin® BF606 processor
Integrating both Analog Devices’ high-performance Blackfin® processor—which features low power consumption characteristics—and an embedded OS help realize extended playback times of approximately 6 hours, even when a high-resolution sound source requiring processing of large volumes of digital information is played back. This ensures the fullest enjoyment of high-resolution music files played back from a recorded microSD card.
- Burr-Brown PCM1795 D/A Converter widely used in stationary D/A converters.
TEAC’s UD-501 has consistently received high marks as a reference model for standalone D/A converters, and both it and the DSD128-compatible TASCAM DA-3000 Master Recorder employ the Burr-Brown PCM1795 DAC, which has been successfully employed by a wide variety of top-end equipment makers.
- Master clock equipped with two crystal oscillators (44.1kHz and 48kHz).
Two precise crystal oscillators are used in the master clock, which plays a critical role in digital audio reproduciton. The use of two dedicated clocks (22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz) for each of the system’s 44.1kHz and 48kHz-multiple sampling frequencies enables perfect synchronization with playback file sampling rates and highly-accuracy D/A conversion. The HA-P90SD is also asynchronous-compatible and does not rely on the PC clock during USB digital connection. This high-precision internal master clock makes possible clear playback sound quality together with excellent jitter noise suppression characteristics.
- Discrete headphone amp component design features op-amp with push-pull circuitry.
- The HA-P90SD’s AB-class headphone amp features a discrete component configuration that utilizes an operational amplifier and push-pull circuitry. Technology accumulated during the development of TEAC’s HA-501 headphone amp was invested in this circuit design, which achieves a 10Hz – 80kHz frequency range and a S/N ratio exceeding 105dB, as well as 0.004% total harmonic distortion. Noise-suppression circuitry further ensures clear sound output, conveying the finest subtleties of the original, high-resolution sound source itself.
- Low-distortion, high-precision Burr-Brown OPA1602 audio op-amp
The HA-P90SD’s AB-class headphone amp features a discrete component configuration that utilizes an operational amplifier and push-pull circuitry. The resulting circuit design achieves a 10Hz – 80kHz frequency range and a S/N ratio exceeding 105dB, as well as 0.004% total harmonic distortion. Noise-suppression circuitry further ensures clear sound output, conveying the finest subtleties of the original, high-resolution sound source itself.
- Dynamic 170mW + 170mW power output (with 32Ω load).
- The HA-P90SD’s high voltage power supply realizes a high output of 170mW + 170mW (into a 32Ω load). Its low-impedance design also significantly enhances low-level sound reproduction.
- High-quality film chip audio capacitors used
High-capacity film chip capacitors developed exclusively for audio reproduction are used to virtually eliminate unwanted noise and vibration from within the capacitors themselves, and more fully realize the delicate spatial expression of the DSD128 (5.6MHz) sound source.
- Circuit design suppresses noise interference
- The HA-P90SD’s circuit board layout vertically separates the analog and digital sections of the amplifier in order to eliminate the generation of unwanted noise due to inter-circuit interference. Noise-generated distortion is also greatly reduced.
- Compatibility with most earphones and headphones ensured by a broad 8 – 600 ohms impedance range
- A total of 8 output levels can be set by selecting from between 4 different maximum attenuator outputs and switching between LOW and HIGH gain settings. This capability ensures an optimum output signal for a wide range of headphone and earphone impedances and efficiencies
- Compatible with digital coaxial, digital optical, and analog line inputs
- The HA-P90SD’s coaxial and optical digital inputs accept digital signals from other players – including portables – of up to PCM 192kHz/24-bit in resolution. A stereo analog line input is also included. Additionally, the headphone jack also provides coaxial digital output of up to PCM 192kHz/24-bit. Used as a D/D converter, high-resolution sound sources input through the USB ports can also be output to other D/A converters. Capability for DSD64 (2.8MHz) by DoP signal output is also planned. (DoP output will be made possible through an upcoming firmware update.)
- DSD native playback from Windows or Mac OS X computers
- As a USB DAC, the HA-P90S is compatible with native playback from Windows or Macintosh computers and other devices. Windows computers require installation of a dedicated ASIO 2.0 driver, while Macs use DoP for DSD native playback.
- DSD128 native playback supported for iOS and Android devices.
- With the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, DSD128 (5.6MHz) native playback can be performed using the Lightning® or 30-pin connector cable supplied with the iOS device. Android devices can be connected using an OTG cable for DSD128 native playback. (Operation with all Android devices not guaranteed.)
- Compatible with WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC, DSF AND DFF (DIFF) files
- The HA-P90SD supports most major high-resolution music file formats. Files can be saved to a microSD card and played back as is, without concern about downloaded file formats. *176.4k/192kHz FLAC files will be supported with a planned firmware update.
- Automatic sorting and various play modes
- Tag information for music tracks recorded onto a microSD card can be read and sorted by track name, album, artist and genre, and easily viewed on the front panel display. Playlists created using the high-resolution TEAC HR Audio Player application can be edited and read on both PCs and Macs, and favorites lists can also be easily created using the HA-P90SD’s front panel controls. Repeat or Shuffle playback can be quickly selected, and Gapless playback can be turned on or off through the user settings.
- Manual controls offer smooth, reliable operation
- The multifunction 4-way switch pad located in the center of the front panel provides easy fingertip control of Play/Pause, Fast Forward, Rewind and Home functions. With single-hand operation, any desired music file can be quickly selected from a recorded microSD card inserted into its card receptacle, and instantly played.
- Robust all-aluminum construction minimizes external noise.
- The HA-P90SD’s all-aluminum construction not only minimizes the influence of external noise on its internal circuitry, it also boasts exceptional durability in a slim design that measures only 21.5mm in thickness (excluding projections) — all essential features in a professional grade mobile component. The unit’s side panels project outward at both ends to protect the volume knob and terminals if ever accidentally dropped. Rubber strips along the length of its front and rear panels absorb vibration and suppress noise even when laid on a table.
- Built-in Li-Ion battery enables up to 7 hours continuous playback
- A built-in USB-rechargeable lithium-ion battery enables long hours of high-resolution listening enjoyment, even outdoors. Its large charging capacity ensures approximately 6 hours of continuous microSD card playback or 7 hours of digital input from an external iOS device (based on 1mW + 1mW output, with power mode set to “Low”).
- TEAC HR Audio Player enables DSD native playback from various devices.
- The free TEAC HR Audio Player application provides access to high-resolution sound source playback, and is compatible with both iSO and Android smart phones systems, as well as Windows and Macintosh computer systems. The player enables complete enjoyment of the profound listening experience made possible by DSD128 native playback, without being limited by the platform of the smart phone, tablet, PC or other device. (Only available with versions that support Android and iOS devices.)
Portable Headphone Amplifier
- Multi-function miniplug input jack compatible with analog line, and digital optical and coaxial inputs.
- Compatible digital input formats:
DSD64 (2.8M)/DSD128 (5.6MHz),1-bit（USB A, USB MicroB ports only）
- DSD128 (5.6MHz) native playback via digital input from Windows, Macintosh, iOS & Android devices.
- Direct iOS Lightning® or 30-pin USB cable connection (Apple Camera Connection Kit not required).
- Free high-resolution TEAC HR Audio Player application compatible with Windows, Macintosh, iOS & Android devices.
- Asynchronous mode supported.
- Operating time: 7 hours continuous (when connected to iOS digital player).
- DSD128 (5.6MHz) or DSD64 (2.8MHz) native playback from inserted microSD card.
- Maximum microSD card capacity: 128GB
- Compatible sound file formats: WAV, MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, DSF, and DSDIFF (DFF)
- PCM bit rate: 16-bit/24-bit
- PCM sampling rate: 44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/176.4k/192kHz (FLAC: 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz with planned firmware update)
- Operating time: 6 hours, continuous (DSD128, 5.6MHz; Power mode: Low; Gain: Low; Phones: 32Ω; Output: 1mW + 1mW)
- Automatic multi-format tag sorting (track name, album, artist, playlist, favorite)
- Repeat mode (Single repeat, specified range repeat)
- Shuffle mode (ON/OFF)
- Playback range designation: (Track name, album, artist, genre, playlist, favorite)
- Equalizer (4 presets)
- Gapless playback (ON/OFF)
- Discreet headphone amplifier utilizes audio op-amp and push-pull circuitry.
- High power output (Impedance: 8 – 600Ω) of 170mW + 170mW (at 32Ω load).
- Analog Device Inc. BF606 Blackfin® processor.
- Burr-Brown PCM1795 D/A converter.
- Dedicated 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz high-precision crystal master clock generators.
- Burr-Brown OPA1602 SoundPLUS® audio op-amp.
- Separate digital and analog circuit layout.
- High/Low Gain switch and 4-step attenuator combine for 8 possible output settings.
- Digital coaxial output for microSD card data and digital USB input.
- Digital coaxial output of DSD64 (2.8MHz) via DoP (with planned firmware update).
- Slim 21.5mm-thick case.
- Robust all-aluminum construction minimizes susceptibility to external noise.
- Dimmer function.
- Display brightness adjustment.
- Automatic power-off function
- USB quick-charge using supplied USB-A DC charging cable (full charge: 4 hr).
- RoHS compliant.