DSD 5.6MHz / PCM 384kHz capable Dual Monaural D/A Converter
TEAC's new UD-501 is the star of the 501 series. The UD-501 supports Direct Stream Digital (DSD) playback at either 2.8 MHz or 5.6MHz (DXD) rates. PCM audio is supported up to 384kHz/32-bit resolution. It connects to your computer over USB using ASIO 2.1 or DoP.
The output section of the UD-501 features two BurrBrown 32-bit DACs per channel and JRC MUSES op amps, also with a dual monaural design. Both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs are available to connect to your power amplifier. A toroidal-core power supply ensures top performance and clean transient playback, for quality that outperforms components five times its price.
Audiostream awarded the UD-501 their Greatest Bits award in a rave review, in which the reviewer "Debated delaying this review so I could [...] find something more, ah hem, critical to talk about." "The UD-501 invites you into each musical performance making it downright difficult to leave."
In Japan, the UD-501 has been awarded the VGP (Visual Grand Prix) Gold Award, one of the most famous in the Japanese AV equipment market. It was also awarded the AEx (Audio Excellence Award) and AEx Extra Award for pure audio equipments.<
Advanced Digital Circuits for Hi-resolution Audio Formats
- DSD 2.8/5.6MHz Native File Playback by ASIO 2.1 or DoP
Both 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz DSD files are processed in native mode to properly convert DSD into an analog signal, and skipping PCM conversion in between.
ASIO2.1 and DoP (DSD over PCM) playback are also supported.
(Mac supports DoP only, with standard driver)
- Up to 32bit/384kHz PCM File Playback
- With PCM file format, files from 44.1kHz/16-bit to 384kHz/32bit resolution are supported.
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode
- Transfer timing is controlled by more accurately by ignoring the clock signal from a PC, nearly eliminating clock-noise and allowing digital data to travel un-affected.
- Variety of Digital Filter Settings and Preferences
Three types of digital filters are provided for PCM playback, while 4 types of cut-off filters are provided for DSD playback.
Also, shutting down unnecessary circuits – USB circuit when S/PDIF inout is selected, or Line Out circuit when Headphones are connected – for purer audio processing.
- Reducing Jitter Noise by 192kHz Up-Converting
- With a PCM file sampling at a frequency less than 192kHz, users are able to convert up to 192kHz in order to reduce jitter noise, or keep the original sampling rate to enjoy the original sound.
Pure Audio Circuits With Classic Audio Pedigree
- Dual Monaural Circuits to Eliminate Signal Interference and Maximize Performance.
Every single part of the digital and analog sections are designed in dual monaural design to eliminate interfering noise to other channels. This maximizes the potential of the the DAC and the operational amplifiers, and achieves a purer audio processing signal.
- 32bit-compatible BurrBrown PCM1795 on Each Channel
- The celebrated BurrBrown PCM1795 D/A converter is used on each channel, which supports 32bit audio with a 123dB S/N Ratio.
- Dual MUSES8920 Operational Amplifier on Each Channel
Two MUSES8920 operational amplifiers are used on each channel. The MUSES8920 was developed for hi-fi components to deliver clear, 3-dimensional sound.
- Individual Toroidal-core Power Transformer on Each Channel – Maintaining Total Dual Monaural Design
The two toroidal-core power transformers offer a stable current supply with energy-effcient operation. Using a pair of power transformers, one each for the left and right channel, ensures that current is delivered exclusively to each channel.
- RCA Output with Parallel Buffer for Better Drivability
- Two operational amplifiers are connected in parallel with the line out circuit section to improve of line-out signal drive. This helps achieve a more linear analog output signal than any other known method.
High-Standard Hardware Designs for Any Listening Environment
- A full-metal body, small footprint that can be placed on a desktop
The front, side, and top panels are each constructed of aluminum and attached to a robust steel chassis. These heavy parts eliminate vibrations, allowing internal circuits to perform under stable conditions. An A4-size body allows the UD-501 to fit any small space. The Reference 501 series defines a new standard to fit all modern interior, with great space-saving design and a timeless presence.
- A Large Number of Inputs & Outputs for Full-Scale Hi-Fi System Integration
The UD-501 provides two optical and coaxial digital inputs, one pair of XLR and one pair of RCA analog audio outputs. The RCA lineout jacks have an exclusive clearance zone, so a high grade pin cable with a large shell is able to be connected. The output terminal is selectable to either RCA or XLR. The XLR output connectors have switchable polarity, either pin 2 HOT or pin 3 HOT, to accomodate vintage amplifiers. A standard detachable IEC cable with 3-polar socket allows user to upgrade to high-grade AC cables.
Features at a glance
- Supports DSD 2.8/5.6MHz playback (via USB)
- Supports PCM 32bit/384kHz playback (via USB)
- Supports PCM 24bit/192kHz playback (Coaxial)
- Supports up to 24bit/96kHz playback (Optical)
- Supports DSD native playback by ASIO2.1 or DoP method
- Exclusive driver software for Windows
- Standard driver software for Mac
- Asynchronous transfer mode
- 4 selectable analog filters (playback USB, DSD)
- 3 selectable digital filters (playback USB, PCM)
- Non-integral up-conversion to 192kHz, when input signal is less than 192kHz (On/Off selectable)
- Throughout dual monaural design from power transformer to output section
- Two toroidal-core power transformers
- Two BurrBrown PCM1795
- Four MUSES8920 operational amplifier
- Parallel buffer for RCA output
- Power supply to USB circuit is switchable
- Lineout circuit can be disabled when headphone is used.
- Low power consumption (MAX 13W)
- Auto power saving mode (On/Off switchable)
- Display mode switchable (Show Up-conversion mode and selected filter)
- Line out switchable (XLR or RCA)
- Polarity change on XLR (2=HOT or 3=Hot)
- Full metal body
- Organic EL Display with Dimmer
- 1 USB audio input
- 2 Optical Inputs
- 2 Coaxial Inputs
- 1 Stereo RCA/XLR
- 3-polar AC socket with a detachable AC cable